Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gear (What Have You Bought v. Outdoors)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since this looks dead, I'll add to it. Just picked up some 1 1/2 oz tungsten punching weights and skirts, and reupped on some plastics. Got a couple spots I want to check out this weekend that's all matted up.

Probably going to pick up a couple new reels this weekend. Been eyeing the new Shimano citicas, and I had planned on grabbing another lews bb1.

Comment

New North Face jacket to deal with the rain here.

Comment

Black Diamond 3AAA LED light thingy. Tis bright.

And a couple Omega beeners to keep my Hydro Flask and camera flash holster at bay.

Comment

Speaking of lights.. I bought this headlamp last summer:

https://www.amazon.com/Vitchelo-V800.../dp/B01AYDU2IW

Have used it extensively for over a year now. It is the best headlamp i've ever used. Great battery life, one hell of a beam on the highest setting, comfortable. And best of all, extremely affordable. I was kind of leery going with some off-brand Chinese knock off, but the reviews were true. Hell of a headlamp for the price!!

Comment

Been using these binos for the past 3 months. Vortex Viper HD 10x42

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics.../dp/B00GSNSPKK

Once again, INCREDIBLE binos for the price. Best of all they have a no-questions asked lifetime warranty!

Comment

Originally posted by CapnAhab View Post
              Speaking of lights.. I bought this headlamp last summer:

https://www.amazon.com/Vitchelo-V800.../dp/B01AYDU2IW

Have used it extensively for over a year now. It is the best headlamp i've ever used. Great battery life, one hell of a beam on the highest setting, comfortable. And best of all, extremely affordable. I was kind of leery going with some off-brand Chinese knock off, but the reviews were true. Hell of a headlamp for the price!!

Nice!

Headlamps have always been an 'oh, shit .. I forgot I lost mine .. I'll just buy this one' moment at REI for me. Petzl and Black Diamond both make good little units. Usually a touch more expensive, though, so that's great.

Comment

Originally posted by CapnAhab View Post
                Been using these binos for the past 3 months. Vortex Viper HD 10x42

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics.../dp/B00GSNSPKK

Once again, INCREDIBLE binos for the price. Best of all they have a no-questions asked lifetime warranty!

Woah -- I haven't gone over the $100 mark with binos yet -- but I got these for the SO over turkey-spendy weekend for $60 -- usually $230: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a larger pair of 10x40 Nikons, but she found them too heavy to carry around her neck (spine issues). So far, she loves them but I find the fov far too small.

Comment

Good timing, I was just about to pull the trigger on some binos. Realized after Chappaquiddick that being able to see where the beach turns into not-beach (also known as ocean) would be nice to know before I'm right on it.

Thinking 8x42 Leupolds - made in Japan, easily handholdable, wide FOV, still kinda useful for looking at the Moon and shit.

Comment

Consider the Vortex Diamondbacks, they are a grade below mine but excellent value for the money.

Comment

Comment

Bringing this back. Last one was a Leki trekking pole, used but like new from a place in Oregon - almost slipped on my ass on the ice, figured a collapsible stick with a spike in it would be handy, especially when I've got the backpack loaded with camera shit. It's aluminum and not CF, but still works really well.

Comment

Love my poles ..

I prefer to hike with one

Comment

I can't do hiking poles, that may change with my back.

i do carry microspikes in the winter just in case I wind up somewhere slippery. They fucking suck in normal snow though.

Comment

Can't, or don't want to use them? I'm curious if there is something actually preventing you.

I find they make downhill stretches much easier -- especially if it is rocky and / or requires a lot of stepping down. But it does transfer the work from your legs to your arms, shoulders, and back, so if your back is fucked, they may make things worse?

Comment

My mom needs a walking stick to move around these days. She's slowly losing her legs. So sad.

Comment

Working...
                                X