Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post something interesting about your day.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are suicide deer out there. Seriously. I've been in a vehicle when one jumped into the side of our vehicle as we were passing it. And know numerous folks who've had the same thing happen. Deer running into the side of truck beds, etc. You can't avoid that.

Comment

• Originally posted by flip View Post

Could you point me to a system in place that can look into a tree line and identify a deer while traveling at 70 mph?
      You're still asking the wrong question. The system is not looking for deer in a tree line. The system wouldn't even know what those words mean.

Can I point you a system that can identify threats to the car and act accordingly? Yes. Uber has that running in Philadelphia right now. Google has it all over Mountain View right now. Do they use lidar? Radar? Ultrasonics? Infra? Probably. I don't really care. I care that they have demonstrated that they are safer than humans.

Now, they get confused in interesting ways. For instance, if a pedestrian is on the curb, we can make eye contact and (generally) determine whether he is going to cross or if he is just waiting. Google's AI will always wait -- so they've had instances of these cars blocking an intersection because some dude is having a smoke on the corner.

The scary part? That was a year ago. Now, the cars are learning to read body language and look for cues like a lit cigarette (thought it wouldn't see 'lit cigarette' .. it would just recognize that pattern as one commonly associated with someone standing rather than crossing.

I'm not sure I'm explaining this correctly -- the gist of what I'm saying is that the real breakthrough in AI was when we learned to let computers teach themselves and form their own neural pathways rather than mimicking our own.

And Tesla sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by CapnAhab View Post
        There are suicide deer out there. Seriously. I've been in a vehicle when one jumped into the side of our vehicle as we were passing it. And know numerous folks who've had the same thing happen. Deer running into the side of truck beds, etc. You can't avoid that.

Yep. Deer are about as predictable as cats. Squirrels are about a dozen times smarter.

Comment

• This seemed somewhat appropriate for this convo:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/s...as-account/#/2

Comment

• Good article and a great example of the limitations of the current tech. Poor little bus got its nose smushed.

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NoSEjBGTLQ

Comment

Working...
              X