Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post something interesting about your day.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by flip View Post
    None of those can stop in time for a deer.

Wut?

AI has better senses, quicker decision making, MUCH faster response time and perfect control of the vehicle.

Comment

Please sell your technology to me. I can then sell it to my employer for millions, maybe even a billion. They'd quit wasting their time trying to develop that technology.

lulz

They really shouldn't be paying to develop something that the private sector currently has in production. Uber currently has driverless cars working in Philadelphia and is working with NASA to create pilotless planes by 2020.

Almost every automobile manufacturer will have driverless cars available by 2025.

The gov is utterly fucked in the head if they think they can beat the private sector on something so lucrative. This will change the world on a scale that even mobile phones couldn't touch.

Comment

• Originally posted by jip View Post

lulz

They really shouldn't be paying to develop something that the private sector currently has in production. Uber currently has driverless cars working in Philadelphia and is working with NASA to create pilotless planes by 2020.

Almost every automobile manufacturer will have driverless cars available by 2025.

The gov is utterly fucked in the head if they think they can beat the private sector on something so lucrative. This will change the world on a scale that even mobile phones couldn't touch.
        They can't identify what is going to happen though. The sensors are limited. I can look at a deer and tell if it's going to cross the road. A person can look at a suicide bomber and see if they are going to run into a convey and detonate an IED. To date, Tesla cannot do that. Tesla's range on identification is about 5'. To be good, it needs to determine if it's a dog, bear, cat, human, tree, mailbox, etc from 100' while traveling at 70 mph. Sensors today cannot do that.

Comment

They can't identify what is going to happen though. The sensors are limited. I can look at a deer and tell if it's going to cross the road.
          No you fucking cannot. The deer I hit was just chillin like a villain on the side of the road right until I got up to it within inches and it then decided to jump out. I had no warning.

Comment

• You don't need to know what something is to not hit it.

Comment

They can't identify what is going to happen though. The sensors are limited. I can look at a deer and tell if it's going to cross the road. A person can look at a suicide bomber and see if they are going to run into a convey and detonate an IED. To date, Tesla cannot do that. Tesla's range on identification is about 5'. To be good, it needs to determine if it's a dog, bear, cat, human, tree, mailbox, etc from 100' while traveling at 70 mph. Sensors today cannot do that.
              First, Tesla's autopilot sucks. Full stop.

This is a very common misconception -- that AI needs to solve problems as you do. You are framing the question as a human would "what is that and is it likely to jump in front of me?" Fair. But that isn't how AI does it. It doesn't look for deer, or dogs, or cats, or whatever. It doesn't tag anything with words or identifiers that would make any sense to us. Instead, AI learns by identifying patterns that lead to accidents. Rather than identifying the difference between a deer, dog, or cat -- which takes processing time -- it might recognize a four-legged animal facing the road and flag that as dangerous. It might flag smaller animals as higher risk, lower danger since they are more likely to cross the road, but unlikely to cause a fatality. It wouldn't think of them as animals, of course, but as a set of data that matches certain criteria that it has learned are high-risk factors.

I'm curious why you think Tesla's range is 5'? They've got radar, lidar and ultrasound that go out 250 yards -- all of which have better resolution that our eyes in any condition other than broad daylight.

You don't need to know what something is to not hit it.
              Or just that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spider Monkey View Post
                No you fucking cannot. The deer I hit was just chillin like a villain on the side of the road right until I got up to it within inches and it then decided to jump out. I had no warning.
                I can. I see herds of them every day. I've only hit one deer and that's because it was in the middle of the night.

Comment

First, Tesla's autopilot sucks. Full stop.

This is a very common misconception -- that AI needs to solve problems as you do. You are framing the question as a human would "what is that and is it likely to jump in front of me?" Fair. But that isn't how AI does it. It doesn't look for deer, or dogs, or cats, or whatever. It doesn't tag anything with words or identifiers that would make any sense to us. Instead, AI learns by identifying patterns that lead to accidents. Rather than identifying the difference between a deer, dog, or cat -- which takes processing time -- it might recognize a four-legged animal facing the road and flag that as dangerous. It might flag smaller animals as higher risk, lower danger since they are more likely to cross the road, but unlikely to cause a fatality. It wouldn't think of them as animals, of course, but as a set of data that matches certain criteria that it has learned are high-risk factors.

I'm curious why you think Tesla's range is 5'? They've got radar, lidar and ultrasound that go out 250 yards -- all of which have better resolution that our eyes in any condition other than broad daylight.

Or just that.
                  I got the information from a Tesla's owner. He indicated that the autopilot / lidar / sensors are not up to snuff. The lidar cannot find the lanes when there is more than a couple inches of snow on the ground. The lidar cannot see animals in the clearing. None of our current lidar/radar systems cannot see an animal in a group of trees. They cannot see a person in a group of trees. If they could, they would spend the $20,000 on the system for convoys instead of them getting blown by crazies with IEDs.

Comment

I can. I see herds of them every day. I've only hit one deer and that's because it was in the middle of the night.
                    You should sell yourself to Uber. You have some beyond-human skills that are very marketable to their objectives.

Comment

You should sell yourself to Uber. You have some beyond-human skills that are very marketable to their objectives.
                      It would only help for the stretch of road I see every day. It wouldn't work in a new place with different deer.

Comment

I got the information from a Tesla's owner. He indicated that the autopilot / lidar / sensors are not up to snuff. The lidar cannot find the lanes when there is more than a couple inches of snow on the ground. The lidar cannot see animals in the clearing. None of our current lidar/radar systems cannot see an animal in a group of trees. They cannot see a person in a group of trees. If they could, they would spend the $20,000 on the system for convoys instead of them getting blown by crazies with IEDs.

It should be noted that Tesla does not currently have a full autopilot solution on the market -- it is a driver-assistant only and Tesla requires that you keep your hands on the wheel.

But you're drawing a HUGE assumption -- the fact that Tesla's solution is crap (and it is crap) doesn't mean that all solutions are crap. The fact that the gov hasn't bought them doesn't mean that they don't exist -- we have, right now, driverless cars on the road in major American cities and they run over fewer people than cars driven by humans.

Comment

It would only help for the stretch of road I see every day. It wouldn't work in a new place with different deer.

Comment

But you're drawing a HUGE assumption -- the fact that Tesla's solution is crap (and it is crap) doesn't mean that all solutions are crap. The fact that the gov hasn't bought them doesn't mean that they don't exist -- we have, right now, driverless cars on the road in major American cities and they run over fewer people than cars driven by humans.
                            Could you point me to a system in place that can look into a tree line and identify a deer while traveling at 70 mph? Perhaps I'm colored by Tesla but I haven't seen one. LIDAR has very serious limitations when it comes to providing back information against a varied background. When we examine plume data from lidar, it often gets confused as to where a cloud ends and the plume begins when the missile is traveling in a cloud. It's hard to imagine that the lidar systems in place in a car are significantly better. They might be....but I haven't seen them in action.

Comment

Do you not notice that the deer you see act the same way every time? I do.

Comment

Do you not notice that the deer you see act the same way every time? I do.
                                No. I don't see deer on my 5 minute commute. But when I grew up in deerland, they were less than predictable. But they were California deer which probably came with an inherent self righteous attitude while your deer are more laid back and slow.

Comment

Working...
                                X