Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Counting the dimples on my balls for fun.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have not golfed in almost three weeks. I'm going this week no matter what the weather does.

Comment

It is funny you mention ball tech Flip. Tiger was recently talking about how they are going to have to dumb the ball down or something because people are driving too far and changing the game. Sucks for us mortals.

Comment

It just increases the scores. But if you are playing against someone, all you need is fewer strokes.

Comment

Originally posted by Spider Monkey View Post
          It is funny you mention ball tech Flip. Tiger was recently talking about how they are going to have to dumb the ball down or something because people are driving too far and changing the game. Sucks for us mortals.

This has only been pitched as a plan for tournaments. It won't effect mortals. It's an effort to stop modifying courses to accommodate advances in technology. Gary Player is advocating this as well. If everyone competing is playing the same ball I don't see the harm.

Also, if a ball change is going to fuck your game up you are probably playing the wrong tees.

Gents, Callaway preowned is doing BOGO woods, 50% off Drivers, and BOGO putters and wedges. If you need to update or fill some gaps this is a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by UCP View Post

This has only been pitched as a plan for tournaments. It won't effect mortals. It's an effort to stop modifying courses to accommodate advances in technology. Gary Player is advocating this as well. If everyone competing is playing the same ball I don't see the harm.

Also, if a ball change is going to fuck your game up you are probably playing the wrong tees.
            That would be awesome if they kept it just at the pro level, but I see a trickle down even from that. People want to play with what the pros use.

If they can take 50 yards off a pro drive purely from dimple manipulation, that for damn sure is going to translate to a loss for us regardless of what tee box we're in bro.

Gents, Callaway preowned is doing BOGO woods, 50% off Drivers, and BOGO putters and wedges. If you need to update or fill some gaps this is a good time.
            Callaway is a legit company too. I broke two Big Berthas and it was 100% my fault. They replaced them both times even though I didn't buy the original direct, and the second time they replaced it I got a free upgrade to the next gen club. I will buy their clubs forever because of that.

Comment

That would be awesome if they kept it just at the pro level, but I see a trickle down even from that. People want to play with what the pros use.

If they can take 50 yards off a pro drive purely from dimple manipulation, that for damn sure is going to translate to a loss for us regardless of what tee box we're in bro.

Callaway is a legit company too. I broke two Big Berthas and it was 100% my fault. They replaced them both times even though I didn't buy the original direct, and the second time they replaced it I got a free upgrade to the next gen club. I will buy their clubs forever because of that.

Comment

If they don't have what you need on the site call them, they have more.

Comment

Joined a pair of locals for 9 holes yesterday, they work at the country club down the road so I might be playing there for cheap this year. Nice guys, pretty good at the game, not insanely better than me, but definitely notably better.

Picked up some Mizuno MP-54's and a pair of wedges for pretty damn cheap in really quite good condition, the wedges were basically new (That was the callaway BOGO). Still adjusting to the difference in offset, but I'm finding them much better than the eye2's. Regripped with midsized UTx, also much better.

Filling in some gaps for cheap was nice.

Nice to hit some balls outside. I couldn't track my shots for shit at first because I don't track as much anymore.

Comment

What do you mean by 'track your shot'?

Also, how much of a pain in the dick was regripping your shafts?

Comment

What do you mean by 'track your shot'?

Also, how much of a pain in the dick was regripping your shafts?

Visually following the ball. I'm so used to hitting the shot and then verifying what I suspect on a screen.

It's real fucking easy. ESP if you have a compressor in the garage. Lamkin is having a solid sale. I could make a vid just for you, if you'd like.

Comment

I did have a few really fucking awesome shots yesterday, the one that sticks out is:

I drilled one into someones yard and followed that up with a provisional that I snake raped about 30 yards to directly behind a tree off to the right.

I then nailed a shot directly toward one of these guys and sliced it around the goddamn tree, straight up the fairway about 5 feet short of the green. I could not believe how perfectly it worked out, it was better than what I was hoping for and I scared the fuck out of that guy when I first struck it but is was never even remotely close to him. Not bad for a blind shot. I should lay up from behind a tree more often.

Comment

Visually following the ball. I'm so used to hitting the shot and then verifying what I suspect on a screen.
                          Ah got ya. I've lost balls in the middle of the fairway because the sun was so low it was casting shadows literally on the blades of grass. Tracking is a skill of it's own. Especially for a blind fuck like me.

It's real fucking easy. ESP if you have a compressor in the garage. Lamkin is having a solid sale. I could make a vid just for you, if you'd like.
                          Interesting. I am no where near needing new grips though. When I had my shafts extended they sold me on brand new grips because apparently reusing grips apparently stretches them out and you get unwanted movement. Did you use the patters on the grips to define where your hands go or do you do that 100% from feel? I'm a feel guy myself. That way I can grab any club at any time and just swing away instead of trying to solve a puzzle with my fingers.

Comment

Ah got ya. I've lost balls in the middle of the fairway because the sun was so low it was casting shadows literally on the blades of grass. Tracking is a skill of it's own. Especially for a blind fuck like me.

Interesting. I am no where near needing new grips though. When I had my shafts extended they sold me on brand new grips because apparently reusing grips apparently stretches them out and you get unwanted movement. Did you use the patters on the grips to define where your hands go or do you do that 100% from feel? I'm a feel guy myself. That way I can grab any club at any time and just swing away instead of trying to solve a puzzle with my fingers.
                            That probably depends heavily on how you take them off, how long they were on, and how your sales numbers are looking this week.

I re-used the two best grips from the mizunos (tour velvets, what came on the driver) on my 3 and 5. I don't even have double sided tape under them, just a clean shaft and a single wrap of painters tape at the top. Might be problematic if the sat out in the rain... I played them yesterday, no problems. I just blow off the old grip and blow on the new one (With mineral spirits). They're a little squishy for the first few swings but once all the air is out they are solid.

My grips don't have marks, I hate that shit. Tour Wraps are horrible feeling to me. I can tell where I'm at with the taper. the only indication I have is the logo so that tells me if I'm full of shit I guess.

Comment

Is your putter a wide grip?

Comment

It's no super stroke, but bigger than what came on it.

This in standard. https://www.amazon.com/Ping-Winn-AVS.../dp/B0063JGZ6A

It's on an old Anser 4 BeCu. It's working well enough, not reason to change it.

Those super strokes look like an overachiever making smores to me. Just kind of goofy.

Comment

Working...
                                X