Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Counting the dimples on my balls for fun.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see a lot of yellows, but that was also at Haystack, which is the dirtball course that doesn't give a damn about norms.

I'd imagine you're exactly right, and I just haven't figured that out. I'll take a look and ask on Saturday. That's some very helpful info, thank you.

I can definitely imagine that playing at sunset would be difficult, esp when facing directly into the sunset. Although, with my work schedule, I will likely do quite a bit of that.

I cannot wait for the grass to grow back in, it's started sprouting, but it's still very much stalled from winter. Even at the grass ranges the lies are pretty awful right now, I'm hitting well off a mat, but that's pretty much pointless when it comes to taking iron shots on a course. Historically this is around the time I quit for the year, LOL, hopefully not this year.

Comment

• I just love how hard the game is, it can beat you for a month, but you get one really good hole, and none of that matters. If I can just keep the slice off my teebox drives I'm thrilled to death. I am glad I've spent the last month working on putting, I'm hoping I can keep 4 putts at bay, and minimize 3 putts. Just keeping my pace and aim to withing a 3 foot miss could be huge to my overall score.

I'm going to say that my goal this wear will be an 18 handicap. I believe that's do-able, and being a bogey golfer would be great, I don't feel like that would be embarrassing at all in most circles.

I do think I need to pick up a cart when I find one on sale, I missed my chance last week on the costco one for <$100 shipped , cart fees are just too much. But I've got 8 rounds already paid for including cart and range balls, so it isn't urgent.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCP View Post
        I see a lot of yellows, but that was also at Haystack, which is the dirtball course that doesn't give a damn about norms.

I'd imagine you're exactly right, and I just haven't figured that out. I'll take a look and ask on Saturday. That's some very helpful info, thank you.

I can definitely imagine that playing at sunset would be difficult, esp when facing directly into the sunset. Although, with my work schedule, I will likely do quite a bit of that.

I cannot wait for the grass to grow back in, it's started sprouting, but it's still very much stalled from winter. Even at the grass ranges the lies are pretty awful right now, I'm hitting well off a mat, but that's pretty much pointless when it comes to taking iron shots on a course. Historically this is around the time I quit for the year, LOL, hopefully not this year.
        I've been on courses that do not do the colors. They have a single flag with their brand on it. Those are usually high end courses though.

LOL DON'T QUIT! I'm feigning hard for a round since it has been raining for a month. I'm almost to a point where I'm willing to go to Topgolf even though nothing with their equipment or fake balls will help my game.

Originally posted by UCP View Post
        I just love how hard the game is, it can beat you for a month, but you get one really good hole, and none of that matters. If I can just keep the slice off my teebox drives I'm thrilled to death. I am glad I've spent the last month working on putting, I'm hoping I can keep 4 putts at bay, and minimize 3 putts. Just keeping my pace and aim to withing a 3 foot miss could be huge to my overall score.

I'm going to say that my goal this wear will be an 18 handicap. I believe that's do-able, and being a bogey golfer would be great, I don't feel like that would be embarrassing at all in most circles.

I do think I need to pick up a cart when I find one on sale, I missed my chance last week on the costco one for <$100 shipped , cart fees are just too much. But I've got 8 rounds already paid for including cart and range balls, so it isn't urgent.
        Heck I don't even need a whole good hole. I get excited when I can put two shots back to back perfectly together. lol Those three putts are a killer. The first thing my instructor taught me about putting is that the first putt is to get within three feet of the hole. That gives you a 6 foot circle to work with which is absolutely huge if you think about it.

A handicap in the teens is an awesome goal. I'll shoot for that too. I'm basically a bogey player on my best days and I can keep up with the best of them at tournaments so that's a good baseline to aim for.

Too bad Toys R Us doesn't sell carts! lol

Comment

• Luckily I'm playing a round tomorrow, it's just started raining a little out here, which is great because everything is so brown.

I am thinking about getting a small bucket after work and just doing Tee shot, approach, chip with a minute pause between them. Same for tomorrow morning.

Comment

• Went to the range at the course that I used to go to all the time, the run down one. Man, I just like that place. It sure feels like I'm able to drive straight again. Time will tell. Came home and measured out the holes and there will be several that I will not be using driver on anymore. There's one that I couldn't touch the green on before that it would be wise for me to club down on or I could wind up in the street behind the green. I am getting closer to legitimately carrying 250 and rolling 20-30 more. It's neat but I'm going to have to change the way I play.

It also might be a good idea to try a hybrid on course for some 200 yard green shots.

Biggest challenge right now is thin bullets on the irons and wedges. I can plop it on a mat and kill it, but I have to get used to setting up for real turf again.

Comment

• Went to my SO's lesson with her on Saturday. I spent the hour on the range drilling the ever loving fuck out of balls with my driver. Easily 300 yards when I connected. I as hitting the top of the net at the end of the range at 220 yards out.

Then after her lesson she had completely caught the bug and demanded that we go do 9 the following day. I was so sore from the day before I had a hell of a time. But in all, she now has the mechanics and know-out to get a real hit out of her clubs now and most importantly, she now knows what she did wrong when she misses a shot. Only problem now is we need to get her new clubs because the women's clubs she has now are way too small.

Comment

• You could do shaft extensions, but man would that be a PITA on a full set of clubs that are likely a budget set in the first place.

Does she just need standard length men's clubs or does she have particularly short ladies clubs?

I feel like if I was female I would be the type that would roll my eyes at ladies golf clubs. I would just start at a fitted set of regular flex clubs. I'd also control the world with the power I had between my legs, but that's not the discussion we're having right now.

Gonna get her her very own stroller?

I was looking around last night after posting here as saw that the next town over has a muni course, 9 hole, one par 5 though, that you can get an annual pass at for <$600, which is less than half the ones in my little city, I asked them some questions, but I think that and a cheap cart are the way to go to really improve.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Spider Monkey;n37219]
                  Too bad Toys R Us doesn't sell carts! lol[/QUOTE

Just now figured out what you meant by this. I could just put them in a little tikes wagon though. Stand bag out in the radio flyer.

Comment

You could do shaft extensions, but man would that be a PITA on a full set of clubs that are likely a budget set in the first place.
                    It's a $200 Prime Day purchase. But even still, the most they can add is 2" which I doubt will be enough. That's what I did to all of my irons but I obviously started out with men's clubs.

Does she just need standard length men's clubs or does she have particularly short ladies clubs?
                    I don't know. She relayed to me that the trainer said her clubs (standard women's length) were too short, but typical SO, she didn't inquire further. She didn't know the questions to ask. She's 5'10" so I'd imagine a standard set of men's clubs would do her well. Gotta find a set in pink to sell her on it.

I feel like if I was female I would be the type that would roll my eyes at ladies golf clubs. I would just start at a fitted set of regular flex clubs. I'd also control the world with the power I had between my legs, but that's not the discussion we're having right now.
                    lol She picked he clubs based on color not ability. Getting fitted is WAY more expensive than adjusting the lengths though. She did great with them though. I could see a vast improvement and she even put together a few real good wacks back to back up a long par four. Her greatest weakness is chipping right now. She will go from one side of the green to the other like 5 times in a row. She needs to get that club to the range.

Gonna get her her very own stroller?
                    Already has one. I picked this up for her at xmas. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

She has more trunk space so she doesn't need one that will collapse like the one I have (posted previously). It does a very good job although I'm not sure it would survive as much golf I would put it through. It's good for her with a round every couple of months.
                    I was looking around last night after posting here as saw that the next town over has a muni course, 9 hole, one par 5 though, that you can get an annual pass at for <$600, which is less than half the ones in my little city, I asked them some questions, but I think that and a cheap cart are the way to go to really improve.
                    Great deal! My shit 9 hole course costs like $150 a month and to break even I'd have to golf 12 times a month. That might make sense when I retire but not now. Albeit when I retire I will be in my forever home that will be at a minimum 1 cart drive away from a course somewhere.

Comment

Just now figured out what you meant by this. I could just put them in a little tikes wagon though. Stand bag out in the radio flyer.
                      Or a baby stroller on discount!

Comment

• Originally posted by jip View Post
                        Everything a Canadian needs to know about golf: https://youtu.be/HRLRa1lLwLQ?t=7m9s
                        This has been the best stupid humor I have come across in a while. Burned through 3 seasons. Of course that is easy to do at 6 episodes per season.

Comment

• Originally posted by IamDeMan View Post
                          This has been the best stupid humor I have come across in a while. Burned through 3 seasons. Of course that is easy to do at 6 episodes per season.
                          Awesome! Glad you enjoyed it.

Comment

• Walked 9 on the cheap course i started at. 41 on a par 32. The first hole was a blow up, after that i played very well, my recovery shots panned out pretty well, 2 and 3 putts, GIRs, fairways, pars even.

I did play two balls because there was almost no-one there, on 8 my first shot held the apex of a dogleg left, then looked like a pretty shit bounce off to the left toward the woods. I choked up on my second drive and just drilled it straight to the right, a really beautiful shot.

The second on plugged about 270 out, and by some fucking miracle the first bounced back in and rolled out to 307. That is officially the longest drive I have measured to date. Chipped in, but left the first putt short for a tap in par.

It just felt like a completely different game today.
                            Last edited by UCP; 03-30-2018, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• I should play in my hiking boots more often.

Comment

• This is the hole19 app, this is a nicer wrapup than i expected.

https://clubhouse.hole19golf.com/rounds/v0i9nA

Comment

Working...
                                X