Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Counting the dimples on my balls for fun.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by flip View Post
    I bought an introductory lesson tomorrow.
    I think thats an excellent move, espically this time of year.

I probably should have started with lessons, but half of the fun for me is trial and error.

Comment

• Went to the range after work, had a Mini break through . I started using my arms way less by bringing my left arm to my chest and then using my hips to pivot it off of my chest.. This seemed to make a huge difference with compressing my irons and getting a nice high flight out of them with similar effort.

I sure hope I don't forget it before the next time.

Comment

• So... scaling off the google maps view of the range I was at this afternoon... I hit somewhere in the neighborhood of 305yds on the first bounce on my best drive (That's when I hit the fence). IDK if I believe that.... but it's encouraging. This summer should be interesting. Nothing matters if I can't measure it on a course though. I really need to work on short game, lol.

Even if the scale is way off and it's only 270 on the first bounce, that's very good for par 5's, that could put me greenside in 2 very realistically on some of them around town. A tee shot is rarely like the range though.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCP View Post
          Went to the range after work, had a Mini break through . I started using my arms way less by bringing my left arm to my chest and then using my hips to pivot it off of my chest.. This seemed to make a huge difference with compressing my irons and getting a nice high flight out of them with similar effort.

I sure hope I don't forget it before the next time.
          YIS! And keep that right elbow tucked to your side. I practiced with putting a towel between my right elbow and rib cage through the swing.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCP View Post
            So... scaling off the google maps view of the range I was at this afternoon... I hit somewhere in the neighborhood of 305yds on the first bounce on my best drive (That's when I hit the fence). IDK if I believe that.... but it's encouraging. This summer should be interesting. Nothing matters if I can't measure it on a course though. I really need to work on short game, lol.

Even if the scale is way off and it's only 270 on the first bounce, that's very good for par 5's, that could put me greenside in 2 very realistically on some of them around town. A tee shot is rarely like the range though.
            You have elevation at your advantage on those long drives.

Comment

• Allegedly that only about a 10% gain, which isn't nothing, but i expected a bit more. It would be humbling to play back in Ohio for sure.

Regarding tucking my right elbow. This was some advice i got from an old friend when i posted my slow-mo videos on facebook. I kindof kept it in mind while i got my shit under control in general. I started intentionally laying the club back in my transition, which made a good deal of difference in shot shapes.... made my standard shot more likely to be straight or draw. I realized as i got better that this that it was also forcing me to hold that right elbow in, or at least closer.

It is nuts how many ways there are to accomplish, let alone say, so many different things.

This whole thing has just been work on one thing, gain a bit of info, try something else, make sure to consider all the past bits... even though some may no longer apply... try that thing again, gain another piece on the pile. Rinse, repeat...

The thing with using my hips to initiate my arms seems like it is more forcing me to mitigate my early extension. I dont think this will be the end method, but more of just another tool to build from.

This really is a bit of a masochist's game.

Comment

• Totes agree. Which is why I will probably play it forever. When I pick things up I usually do them to death to a point where 5 years down the road I wonder why I'm still doing something so fucking easy.. I don't anticipate that ever happening with golf. I started way too late.

Comment

• Lessons went well. Obliques are sore. He immediately knew my strengths and weaknesses

Comment

• The big thing is knowing how far each club goes

Comment

The big thing is knowing how far each club goes
                      yup. Gotta put in the range time to figure out what club to use on the course.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spider Monkey View Post
                        yup. Gotta put in the range time to figure out what club to use on the course.

Well even at the range I have no idea how far my ball went. I can't track worth shit which is why I got the orange balls.

Comment

Well even at the range I have no idea how far my ball went. I can't track worth shit which is why I got the orange balls.
                          Damn you got it bad if you can't catch any of them with your eye under 200ft.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• I finally got out and did 9 with the SO last Friday and my drives were ON POINT. Long beautiful and straight. Can't wait to hit it again this Friday.

Still gotta figure out my lob wedge though..

Comment

Working...
                                X