Best looking car for less than 40k

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best looking car for less than 40k

For decades, the Miata has been a fantastic driver's car hiding in the body of a girly car. The designers just couldn't combine small with masculine. And that's fine -- when I'm driving my MX-5, I don't give two fucks what other people think.

Mazda, though, clearly disagrees. They want their car to be as gorgeous as it drives. And, with the new convertible fastback, I think they've finally done. This is easily the best looking car for less than $40k. Hell, I don't think anything comes close until you're looking at exotics.

If Mazda produces a performance oriented version with more than 200HP, I'll sell my 2007 and buy new. Otherwise, I'll wait a few years and pick up a lightly used model.

I saw a 2016 the other day and even those are sexy.

Comment

Originally posted by Spider Monkey View Post
      I saw a 2016 the other day and even those are sexy.
      Yeah! The 2016 are only available as soft tops, though, and that is a deal-breaker for me. I didn't even look at the new ones.

For 2017, they are offering this sexy retractable roof with the b-pillars of sexy goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by jip View Post

Yeah! The 2016 are only available as soft tops, though, and that is a deal-breaker for me. I didn't even look at the new ones.

For 2017, they are offering this sexy retractable roof with the b-pillars of sexy goodness.
        Why do you not like soft tops?

Comment

He must be bald.

Comment

Originally posted by flip View Post

He must be bald.
            Ouch. lol

Comment

Originally posted by flip View Post

He must be bald.
              Hehe .. nope .. no hair loss here.

Soft tops are inherently insecure -- I don't want to worry when I park my car. Am willing to pay more and suffer the weight penalty in order to carry my roof around with me.

Comment

I just hope they actually produce something akin to the RX-7 concept they released last year. IDK how that would work with emissions though, the rotary is not an efficient engine.
                Last edited by UCP; 04-26-2016, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UCP View Post
                  I just hope they actually produce something akin to the RX-7 concept they released last year. IDK how that would work with emissions though, the rotary is not an efficient engine.
                  VW has a fix for that.

Comment

Originally posted by UCP View Post
                    VW has a fix for that.
                    I think that Mazda classifies the RX-7/8/9 as their halo car -- which means that it doesn't count against their emissions quotas.

The car itself still has to pass, though, and as UCP said, the rotary is a terrible fucking engine. I don't understand why people are so horny for it.

Comment

Lotus did exactly this with the Elise, before they stopped making them.

Comment

Wait, you can get a Caterham delivered to the States for under $40K. So yeah, that.

Comment

Originally posted by JimJ View Post
                          Lotus did exactly this with the Elise, before they stopped making them.

Did they sell over a million of them?

No. No they did not.

Comment

Why would I want something of the hoi polloi?

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz1Mx4wsEEc

Sums it up perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                              X