What have you done for your car lately

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flip View Post
    Any thoughts on the suspension quandary? I’m leaning towards the full thing since I don’t want to do it twice.
    I'm a one and done guy. I'd replace it all while they were under there but I don't work on anything under my car myself..
    Originally posted by jip View Post

It does -- and given the prices you mentioned, it makes more sense than what I was thinking.

It really does connect to the throttle. The base version, which I bought, runs a line to the vacuum booster at the intake manifold. When you are on the throttle, the vacuum pulls open the butterfly valve and releases beautiful noise.

There is also an option to wire the whole thing up to your variable wiper so you can control when the valve opens, but I figured I'd see what the mechanical solution is like before spending more money.

Everything should arrive tomorrow, so I'll get to work on Thursday -- I took the day off to celebrate my bday.
    Plus it would be really dumb to have to run your wipers to hear the exhaust..

Comment

Originally posted by Spider Monkey View Post
      I'm a one and done guy. I'd replace it all while they were under there but I don't work on anything under my car myself..

Plus it would be really dumb to have to run your wipers to hear the exhaust..
      That's just it -- it seems a stupid switch to use.

There is a third option -- a key fob with a button that turns the noise on and off. I don't need another fucking key fob and I don't want it rattling around the inside of the car, so I really hope the mechanical solution works as advertised.

This company has been the premier US manufacturer for custom Miata parts for decades, so I have faith.

Comment

Why not make your own switch? Even if it’s variable. I think the term is a potentiometer. It’s like a volume knob.

Comment

Why not make your own switch? Even if it’s variable. I think the term is a potentiometer. It’s like a volume knob.
          I could do -- but I can't figure out where I would mount it. If the mechanical solution doesn't work, I'll start brainstorming solutions.

Comment

Add it as a secondary output from your CD player? Now that would take some tinkering, but I bet it could work. All the valve needs is a signal to change voltage. So similar to the signal for an amp.

Comment

Exhaust has arrived in WA and scheduled for delivery this afternoon. Fingers crossed because it looks like I'll have everything I need to do this on Thursday. WOO.

Comment

Is it 100% bolt on?

Comment

Is it 100% bolt on?
                  Some very minor cutting required, so 98%?

Comment

Did you decide on a jack?

Comment

Did you decide on a jack?
                      Oh yeah, I just bought a cheap AC Delco from Autozone for $30 - I figure if it fails, I'm not out much money and if it doesn't, I've saved $100. Based on your comments, I figured it was worth taking a chance -- if it works out of the box, I should be good. If it doesn't, it is a short drive to get it replaced / refunded.

Comment

Considering it is a 4 pound car, I think you'll be okay.

Comment

I think this job would be easier with ramps vs a jack.

Comment

I'm 1000% positive he has jack stands if he's going to rely on a $30 jack.

Comment

Considering it is a 4 pound car, I think you'll be okay.
                              LOL -- it's true.

I think this job would be easier with ramps vs a jack.
                              This job, absolutely. But I'm also planning to change my brakes and swap winter / summer tires and you can't do those on ramps. But yeah -- swapping in a new muffler would be super easy with ramps.

Absolutely. I'm paranoid enough that I also take off both wheels and slide them under the car so if the jack fails and the jack stands fail, the wheels will keep me from getting crushed.

Seriously, I'm fucking paranoid when I'm working by myself. Unless it is electrical work, in which case I choose any old ground because fuck your car fires.

Comment

Oh I assumed he had jack stands. I was talking about stability. When I changed the exhaust to the truck, I was glad to have ramps because it’s more stable when you are underneath pulling on stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X