Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have you done for your car lately

This is me today:

As much as I love my MX-5 -- and I really, really, do -- it does not have the most inspiring sound. So I bought myself an early birthday present: Flyin' Miata Hush-o-Matic active exhaust

Lifted my truck 2” while replacing shocks/struta

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Comment

That spring shows why I had such a hard time. I found some random thread about using two spring compressors and it was much easier.

Comment

Well done! Both with the truck and the pictures!

Comment

Bad news....when I went to get an alignment, the guy said the ball joints were failing. The shop suggested I replace the entire control arm because AL has a tendancy to bend/warp. The bushings probably need replacing as well. If you include time, it's cheaper to just replace the whole thing at once. I'm just sort of fatigued at the moment.

Comment

Does Al have a tendency to fatigue and, more importantly, is there evidence that has happened? Sounds (to my suspicioius mind at 5am) like the mechanic is trying to pad the bill.

Comment

There are mixed theories on this sort of thing. Some people take the “while I’m in there...” approach because parts tend to wear and fail together. Other people take the replace as needed. The pro of the first one is time. The pro of the second one is cost. Unless the bushings are completely shot, it’s hard to know exactly how much life they have left.

hard to say about padding the bill as the labor cost to replace the joint is about the same as the Control arm itself. Once you press in and press out the joint, you could have removed the arm and put a new one on. My guess is that there’s a possibility/tendancy/risk to improperly remove or press the ball joint with aluminum because it’s a more forgiving metal and if you miss press it, then you have to replace the LCA anyway. Make sense?

Comment

FWIW, the price difference of bare minimum vs the full boat is $90 vs. $375. The time difference is about an hour or two.

Comment

Originally posted by jip View Post
                      This is me today:

As much as I love my MX-5 -- and I really, really, do -- it does not have the most inspiring sound. So I bought myself an early birthday present: Flyin' Miata Hush-o-Matic active exhaust
                      "But when you dip deeper into the throttle pedal, a butterfly opens to allow the exhaust to bypass the muffler completely. This cuts down on restriction and you can hear the car respond to your extra enthusiasm. When you want it loud, it's loud. Never obnoxiously so, but sporty."

Does it really connect to the throttle somehow or did a person that's never been under a car write that for marketing?

Comment

JC Whitney or some other type of deal used to sell something like that connected to a wire.

Comment

Originally posted by flip View Post
                          JC Whitney or some other type of deal used to sell something like that connected to a wire.
                          The current hotness is a blue tooth app that does it but the way that is written it either sounds different or fake. Mine makes a different sound under WOT too, but that's because it is unleashing 8 valves full of 392 demons.

Comment

Any thoughts on the suspension quandary? I’m leaning towards the full thing since I don’t want to do it twice.

Comment

Originally posted by flip View Post
                              There are mixed theories on this sort of thing. Some people take the “while I’m in there...” approach because parts tend to wear and fail together. Other people take the replace as needed. The pro of the first one is time. The pro of the second one is cost. Unless the bushings are completely shot, it’s hard to know exactly how much life they have left.

hard to say about padding the bill as the labor cost to replace the joint is about the same as the Control arm itself. Once you press in and press out the joint, you could have removed the arm and put a new one on. My guess is that there’s a possibility/tendancy/risk to improperly remove or press the ball joint with aluminum because it’s a more forgiving metal and if you miss press it, then you have to replace the LCA anyway. Make sense?
                              It does -- and given the prices you mentioned, it makes more sense than what I was thinking.

Originally posted by Spider Monkey View Post

"But when you dip deeper into the throttle pedal, a butterfly opens to allow the exhaust to bypass the muffler completely. This cuts down on restriction and you can hear the car respond to your extra enthusiasm. When you want it loud, it's loud. Never obnoxiously so, but sporty."

Does it really connect to the throttle somehow or did a person that's never been under a car write that for marketing?
                              It really does connect to the throttle. The base version, which I bought, runs a line to the vacuum booster at the intake manifold. When you are on the throttle, the vacuum pulls open the butterfly valve and releases beautiful noise.

There is also an option to wire the whole thing up to your variable wiper so you can control when the valve opens, but I figured I'd see what the mechanical solution is like before spending more money.

Everything should arrive tomorrow, so I'll get to work on Thursday -- I took the day off to celebrate my bday.

Comment

Working...
                              X