Poor People Cars ITT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor People Cars ITT

I hardly drive, I work almost entirely from home. I really have no interest in cars, and having a nice one has zero bearing on my happiness or ego. As a result, I’m still driving the 2002 Toyota Highlander given to me by my parents when I was in high school.

It has 180k miles on it, does great in the snow, and has been absolutely rock solid since the beginning when my parents bought it brand new. I really wanted to take it to 200K+, but this summer the air conditioning shit the bed.

Mechanic bro did a dye test and said the compressor was leaking. He lets my buy my own parts, so I got the cheapest Chinese aftermarket compressor I could find, but after the replacement the system is still leaking. Whatever sealent they use didn’t work either. Another dye test showed nothing, so he said the leak is likely under the dash, which is like a 8-10 hour job to take apart. The labor would obviously cost way more that the value of the car, since it’s worth about as much as a dimebag of pubes.

So unless anyone can recommend a last ditch miracle to fix the AC, I’ll probably be car shopping after this winter.

I have no interested in a $600/mo car payment, or really any loan at all. So I’d looking for something in the $12k-$14k range. Preferably an SUV with AWD for the winter, but that obviously narrows the selection in that price range significantly. But really my only requirement is something reliable that I could drive into the ground again.

If nothing tripped my trigger on the used marker, I’d consider a new Toyota Corolla only due to the fact they finance them at 0% for the whole term of the loan, and the payment would only be like $300. And the warranty is a plus.

So I’m soliciting shitty car insults, preferably laced with some advice.

Mazda 3. It is as cheap as a Corolla but actually almost fun to drive. Decent transmission, best handling in its class, and a really strong interior. For the newer Skyactiv models, you also get great MPG.

I drove it in the winter with proper tires and never had an issue. You don't need AWD unless you encounter more hills than I do in Seattle.

Or, do what I do and drive a miata. Snow just makes it more fun.

Comment

Didn't you have a miata at one point? I seem to remember making fun of you for it.

I'm nothing if not a hypocrite.

Comment

Originally posted by jip View Post
        Didn't you have a miata at one point? I seem to remember making fun of you for it.

I'm nothing if not a hypocrite.
        My parents are borderline hoarders and won’t get rid of any item they own until it’s 100% necessary, including cars. So when I lived at home, there was 5 or 6 cars in the garage with only 3 drivers in the house, and being the spoiled brat I was, I was allowed to drive whatever was available. And as a shithead teenager, the Miata was the obvious choice.

I told you they handle fucking fantastically. And I only got called a faggot at a red light twice. I would get one, but after spending time volunteering for the fire company and responding to some nasty wrecks, I have a healthy fear of cars and want something a little larger than a tin can. Plus I occasionally require traveling with a little more than a small box in the trunk.

Mazda 3 is up there on my, I forgot to mention it. They seem like excellent cars and always do well in crash tests.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerfreak View Post
          My parents are borderline hoarders and won’t get rid of any item they own until it’s 100% necessary, including cars. So when I lived at home, there was 5 or 6 cars in the garage with only 3 drivers in the house, and being the spoiled brat I was, I was allowed to drive whatever was available. And as a shithead teenager, the Miata was the obvious choice.

I told you they handle fucking fantastically. And I only got called a faggot at a red light twice. I would get one, but after spending time volunteering for the fire company and responding to some nasty wrecks, I have a healthy fear of cars and want something a little larger than a tin can. Plus I occasionally require traveling with a little more than a small box in the trunk.

Mazda 3 is up there on my, I forgot to mention it. They seem like excellent cars and always do well in crash tests.

Ah -- that is the context that I was missing. You were right -- my Mx-5 is the most fun car I've owned, including the jeep and STI.

You honestly can't go wrong with the 3, or one of their CUVs if you can stretch your budget that far. I own a 2017 CX-5 in addition to the miata and it is awesome. Also has AWD.

Comment

Ah -- that is the context that I was missing. You were right -- my Mx-5 is the most fun car I've owned, including the jeep and STI.

You honestly can't go wrong with the 3, or one of their CUVs if you can stretch your budget that far. I own a 2017 CX-5 in addition to the miata and it is awesome. Also has AWD.
            Good times driving the Miata on a super curvy road, you can feel the thing sticking the road like glue when you accelerate in the apex of a turn.

I looked up some user Mazda 3's .. 2014's with 25,000 miles go for around $12k. I think that's what I'll end up getting.

Comment

More fun than a Camry but probably won't last as long.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerfreak View Post
                Good times driving the Miata on a super curvy road, you can feel the thing sticking the road like glue when you accelerate in the apex of a turn.
                I think we drive differently because when I'm past the apex, the ass end of the car usually wants to come around.

Did you have the limited slip?

I looked up some user Mazda 3's .. 2014's with 25,000 miles go for around $12k. I think that's what I'll end up getting.
                Good choice. Take a look at the Focus, too - SM had good things to say about it.

Originally posted by flip View Post
                More fun than a Camry but probably won't last as long.
                Probably true. Toyota builds unbreakable machines whose endurance is rivalled only by their boredom.

Comment

I think we drive differently because when I'm past the apex, the ass end of the car usually wants to come around.

Did you have the limited slip?

Good choice. Take a look at the Focus, too - SM had good things to say about it.

Probably true. Toyota builds unbreakable machines whose endurance is rivalled only by their boredom.
                  Not sure what the car is equipped with, but the thing never slipped on me. I’d downshift going into the turn to slow down a bit, and then punch it right in the middle of the turn. That should provide a good bit of downward force and keep the car straight. I think. I really don’t know.

The early 2010 Focus’s have a lot of transmission issues. My girlfriend has a 2012 and I have a friend with a 2015 and they both have similar issues. A software update fixed it a bit, but it’s still not great.

Toyota’s are fucking fantastic cars. I love boring. I’d get a Rav 4 but a newer one is a bit pricey, and I don’t like the old ones with the tire on the back. If I ever find myself in the position to buy an $80k car, it will be a Land Cruiser.

The new Toyota C-HR is a little less boring. The 86 looks like a fun car too, I think it’s their first sporty model since the MR2.

Comment

The 86 is almost as much fun as the Miata, but 10x as practical. You can fit 4 (kinda), you have a trunk, and you have 200 HP.

But if you aren't interested in fun, just get a corolla or camry and you won't need to buy another car for 20 years.

Comment

Get a Heep.

Comment

I'd like to help, but from reading your responses I just can't imagine anything I'm going to say being on target for you. We are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Comment

AC shit the bed in my Home Depot pickup. I put a couple grand into it but the fix was short term. The next step is to spend twice what it is worth to tear the dash apart. I'll just sell it in the winter.

Comment

You take that back.

Comment

Originally posted by UCP View Post
                              Get a Heep.
                              This. It'll make tons of noise but you'll be smiling so much you won't care.

Comment

Working...
                              X