Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subaru crushes Nurb-ring record

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Subaru crushes Nurb-ring record

    http://www.automobilemag.com/news/su...or-lap-record/

    Subaru set a blistering 6:57.5 lap in a race-prepped STI RA. On the one hand, this isn't a production car -- it is a modded RA, of which they are selling only 500 worldwide. On the other hand, their time is in line with the Porsche 918 Spyder (6:57) and the Lamborghini Aventador LP 750-4 Superveloce (6:59). That is sick

    Other times for comparison:

    Base WRX STI: 8:06
    Cadillac CTS-V: 7:59
    BMW M5: 7:55
    Honda Civic Type R (!!): 7:50

    The WRX STI Type RA NBR Special isn’t a production car like most Nürburgring record holders; it’s more like a highly prepared Nürburgring attack dog. Built by Prodrive, a group of engineers with countless awards and trophies, the time-attack race car is equipped with a rally spec 2.0-liter Boxer engine that sends 600 horsepower to Subaru’s Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive system. Yowza!
    The STI’s motor was fortified and given a turbocharger that runs an insane 25 psi of boost and revs to 8,500 rpm. In addition to the fresh engine, Prodrive installed a full FIA roll cage, a World Rally Championship gearbox, 9-inch-wide Dunlop tires on Speed Line wheels, and an aero package that creates nearly 650 pounds of extra downforce at top speed, which has been upped to 179 mph. The rear wing additionally has a Formula 1-style Drag Reduction System that either stalls or drops the rear wing to create more downforce in the corners or less downforce on the straights for higher top speeds.


  • #2
    Jesus fuck it has DRS?!?

    If the Porsche 918 does 6:57 and this thing does 6:57.5, what record did it smash? Fastest make believe car ever?

    Comment


    • #3
      WTF no cockpit video? Fake news.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Spider Monkey View Post
        Jesus fuck it has DRS?!?

        If the Porsche 918 does 6:57 and this thing does 6:57.5, what record did it smash? Fastest make believe car ever?

        Fastest 4-door around the 'ring.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jip View Post


          Fastest 4-door around the 'ring.
          Fastest LIMITED PRODUCTION IN YOUR FACE BECAUSE SPEED 4-door around the ring.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Spider Monkey View Post
            Fastest LIMITED PRODUCTION IN YOUR FACE BECAUSE SPEED 4-door around the ring.

            Well, more like Fastest RACE PREPPED ONE-OFF UNIQUE UPGRADE TO A LIMITED PRODUCTION IN YOUR FACE BECAUSE SPEED 4-door around the ring. They are making 500 RA models but none with the drivetrain and aero mods that this one has.

            Still -- to take a $40k car and make it competitive with hypercars around the 'ring is pretty fucking impressive.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jip View Post


              Well, more like Fastest RACE PREPPED ONE-OFF UNIQUE UPGRADE TO A LIMITED PRODUCTION IN YOUR FACE BECAUSE SPEED 4-door around the ring. They are making 500 RA models but none with the drivetrain and aero mods that this one has.

              Still -- to take a $40k car and make it competitive with hypercars around the 'ring is pretty fucking impressive.
              Ah I did not catch the part in bold.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Spider Monkey View Post
                Ah I did not catch the part in bold.

                Apparently, the aero mods do carry-over -- but not the fancy moving rear wing -- which, obviously, is the coolest aero on the car.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jip View Post


                  Apparently, the aero mods do carry-over -- but not the fancy moving rear wing -- which, obviously, is the coolest aero on the car.
                  If it is even half the game changer that it is in F1, it's a big deal.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Spider Monkey View Post
                    If it is even half the game changer that it is in F1, it's a big deal.

                    I honestly can't think of any other way for a fucking Subaru to hang with Lambo and Porsche's best ....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jip View Post


                      I honestly can't think of any other way for a fucking Subaru to hang with Lambo and Porsche's best ....
                      Imagine that aero package on the Porsche. lol

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The Porsche has active aero, including flaps that open under the car to create suction that pulls the car into the ground. Fucking black magic, bro.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jip View Post
                          The Porsche has active aero, including flaps that open under the car to create suction that pulls the car into the ground. Fucking black magic, bro.
                          Yea but I don't think it has DRS.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm more interested in the commuter car civic.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by flip View Post
                              I'm more interested in the commuter car civic.
                              Honda Civic Type R (!!): 7:50

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X