X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sous Vide Master Race

All my Sous Vide brudders, what it do?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...-food-lab.html

Only 70 hours left. I will let you guys know how nom it is.

What is the purpose?

Comment

To eat

Comment

I've seen 72 hour short ribs, it's a very tough cut. Same idea apply to pork? It only says 36...?

Comment

LOL earlier today I reread the recipe and had an oshit moment. They're in an ice bath now. They're 12ish your ribs now.

Cut a hole in the lid of my cooler for the SV. Works really well.

Comment

What is the purpose of cooking this way versus a grill?

Comment

Originally posted by flip View Post
              That constant temperature though... I dont know if I have that patience though..

Comment

It is yet another method to try and have heat cook the food instead of heated air. It also guarantees food is cooked to temperature evenly because it is completely regulated at the desired temp and water immersion applies it evenly. The method does keep a great amount of moisture in the food which helps retain full flavor. However, if your objective is to add a char flavor this won't cut it obviously. One of my favorite methods is still using my infrared oil-less fryer which retains nearly as much moisture and flavor but gets a nice char on the outside when I apply some olive oil or butter. My infrared is probably what has kept me from going all in on sous vide. For now I have just experimented with manual means.

Comment

So the water is heated and food is immersed in the water? I'm pretty sure that's what you said, just wanted to clarify.

Comment

The reason I grill is more for efficiency than flavor. I can cook a week's worth of food in about 45 minutes with no cleaning up after.

Comment

So the water is heated and food is immersed in the water? I'm pretty sure that's what you said, just wanted to clarify.
                      Correct.

Comment

The reason I grill is more for efficiency than flavor. I can cook a week's worth of food in about 45 minutes with no cleaning up after.
                        And there is nothing efficient about this process fo sho.

Comment

Originally posted by IamDeMan View Post
                          It is yet another method to try and have heat cook the food instead of heated air. It also guarantees food is cooked to temperature evenly because it is completely regulated at the desired temp and water immersion applies it evenly. The method does keep a great amount of moisture in the food which helps retain full flavor. However, if your objective is to add a char flavor this won't cut it obviously. One of my favorite methods is still using my infrared oil-less fryer which retains nearly as much moisture and flavor but gets a nice char on the outside when I apply some olive oil or butter. My infrared is probably what has kept me from going all in on sous vide. For now I have just experimented with manual means.
                          What is the cost of entry to the oil-less fryer route?

Originally posted by IamDeMan View Post
                          And there is nothing efficient about this process fo sho.
                          It's more efficient for me because I can set it and forget it. I'm a terrible cook and if I am in charge of applying much heat at all to something I WILL fuck it up.

Comment

Actually no, that's a lie. It's still inefficient. I just used like 20 paper towels drying off meat.

Also want to say that taking ribs out of a bag that have been in an ice bath and had a chance for the fat to render is probably one of the most disgusting food preparation tasks I've ever had to do. They're on the grill now, we'll see how they do.

Comment

Ribs were good and had great texture but were probably too tender. You could literally pull the bone right out cleanly. I had to take them off the grill early because they were starting to separate as I was flipping them.

Comment

Working...
                              X